Monday, December 17, 2012

it is well with my soul

The last few days have made me speechless. Absolutely speechless. So much heartache in a matter of minutes. How could something so bad happen to people so innocent? So many questions that are left unanswered...

Unfortunately, people have choices, choices that are good or bad, wise or unwise. We make them everyday. Adam Lanza made a bad, very unwise choice, that effects people way beyond him. It effected a school, multiple families, a town, and it spread to a whole nation. His sin influenced many. While this situation is dark, very dark, Jesus is the only light that can bring any hint of light to this terrible tragedy...there was some light in this situation. Of the stories that I've read, teachers became heroes, literally putting themselves in the line of fire for their students. Pure light. The school principal and psychologist lunged at the shooter, also risking their lives for many. More light. The fact that the intercom was on during the beginning of the shootings to hint to teachers that they needed to go into lockdown mode, not allowing the shooter to catch their classroom off guard. More light. (via cnn.com) I am saddened by the deaths that occurred, in fact, I spent all day Friday crying about children and adults I had never even met. But though I am saddened, I also find hope in the fact that I think it could have been much worse. Those children are now face to face with their maker, and in that I find comfort.

We live in a very dark, troubled world and the only hope we have is Jesus, the only light in this world. Often times we forget that when Jesus died on the cross paying the debt for our sins, and raised from the dead three days later, he overcame Satan. He overcame evil. He overcame the world. If we have a relationship with Jesus, we too have already gained the victory over evil. "...In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

One of my favorite hymns is "It is well, with my soul". It was a favorite of Dr. Chuck, our friend who was called home in 2011. The words are amazing and the backstory makes the words that much more powerful. The writer of the song was a father and was very familiar with loss. He wrote the hymn around the time of the Chicago Fire, in the late 1800's. He and his wife had five children, one boy and four girls. When their son was four, the couple lost their son. The writer then lost his business in the fire, so he sent his daughters and wife to Europe, until he could meet them there. While crossing the Atlantic ocean, the ship they were traveling on sunk and he lost all four of his daughters. He and his wife were in what I'd assume, was a state of shock and pure chaos, yet he wrote this song; he wrote his thoughts down for many to find promise in.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows, like sea billows roll,
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed his own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part, but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, oh my soul!

And Lord haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll,
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul!

Reading these words bring tears to my eyes. Amongst chaos, pure horror, and I'm sure the ultimate sadness of losing a child(ren), this man found comfort in the arms of his Savior.

We need to be praying for the families in Connecticut, that they would be covered with peace and comfort from their Lord Jesus Christ...the only light they can find in this dark situation. The light we can have in this situation is when "the trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend.." we will be reunited with those 20 beautiful children that were taken far too soon from their families. We all look forward to that day. Come, Lord Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment